Death count rises to 288 in Odisha train tragedy, 803 remain injured
The Uttar Pradesh government has installed smart prepaid meters at the premises of 2.69 million consumers so far under the Indian government's "Revamped Distribution Sector Scheme", a government spokesperson said on Friday.
The Government of India has issued the Enhanced Distribution Sector Scheme (RDSS) notification in 2021 to ensure quality and uninterrupted power to consumers in the state through an efficient and robust distribution system. Through this programme, the government aims to reduce distribution losses from 12 to 15 per cent by 2024-25.
According to a spokesperson, Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Ltd (UPPCL) Chairman M Devraj informed that the Government of India has approved the installation of smart meters at a cost of ₹ 18,885.48 crore, of which 15 percent of the sanctioned amount, i.e. ₹ 2,832.82 crore, is being provided as a grant and the remaining amount i.e. ₹16,052.66 crore will be funded by the state government and the distribution company.
Devraj further said that ₹16,498.61 crore has been sanctioned by the Government of India for strengthening the power system and reducing distribution losses, of which 60 per cent (₹9,899.17 crore) will be provided as a grant by the Government of India and the remaining 40 per cent (₹6,599 .44 crore) by the state government and the distribution company.
According to M Devraj, proposals worth ₹18,916.20 crore have been sent to the Government of India to upgrade the electricity distribution system and approval is expected in the next financial year. Of this proposed amount, 60 per cent (₹11,349 crore) will be funded by the Government of India and the remaining 40 per cent (₹7,566.4 crore) by the state government and the distribution company.
The proposed major modernization works include the construction of 593 new 33/11 KV substations; increasing the capacity of 1511 substations 33/11 KV; construction of approximately 10,000 km of new 33 KV lines; installation of 76,000 distribution transformers; construction of approx. 22,000 km of 11 KV line; construction of about 15,000 km of LT lines (low voltage lines); and work to increase the capacity of 1 lakh distribution transformers in urban areas.
Khap 'Mahapanchayat' convenes to address wrestler's protest against WFI chief; resolution expected today